Sydney Opera House
Sydney Opera House
The Opera House is an architectural and engineering masterpiece that is Australia’s premier tourism destination, a world-class performing arts centre, and celebrated community meeting place. Each year the Opera House welcomes 10.9 million visitors and hosts ~1,800 performances attended by 1.5 million people.
The Opera House is midway through a program of major upgrades to ensure this 20th-century icon continues to inspire 21st-century artists, audiences and visitors.
To facilitate efficient coordination and delivery of the upgrade process, McGregor Digital Construction was engaged to undertake a BIM/Digital Engineering Specification Review to provide Sydney Opera House with:
- an understanding of the modern BIM capabilities of the Australian market in the context of the Opera House major upgrade program,
- advice and recommendations for improvements to the Digital Engineering Specification (DES) to better assist construction and contracting companies working for the Opera House, and
- recommendations on improving digital collaboration between the SOH, consultants and contractors to better manage upgrades and the existing structure and facility.
McGregor Experience Drives Selection
As preferred tenderer from a public process, McGregor was entrusted with this strategically important consulting role to the Sydney Opera House due to McGregor’s:
- Deep global building experience on complex structures, supporting an ability to understand the physical and structural complexities of the Sydney Opera House.
- Strong experience gained from recent BIM/Digital Engineering roles on major Australian construction projects
- Thorough understanding of current market best practice BIM/Digital Engineering developed over years of hard building experience, and modern digital construction methods